Saturday, June 26, 2010

We're Blog Hoppin' with Nicole at CNS!

Welcome everyone!
We're having a Blog Hop today and showcasing some of our favorite techniques.  Some of the girls are even giving away some blog candy!  I'll try to do it next time- just had two trips back to back...I'm on overload,overload ;o)  If you’re just arriving please start with Nicole at Canadian Nickel Scrapn  and hop your way through all the great blogs.  You should have gotten here from Jessica at Kinderstampo.  Your next stop after me, should be Mari at Made By Momo, she'll let you know where to go next.  I hope you get a chance to hop along and see all the great techniques we're sharing!  Don't forget to leave some blog love too! 

Here's my project...sometime back I went Solana Beach near San Diego and saw some pillows that were silk screened with monograms, numbers, "paris", etc..  They were super expensive...everything I liked was! ;o)  I remember thinking "I can make these!"  so here's my take on it


Recipe:
Burlap, Muslin, Stuffing, Provo Craft Vinyl, Acrylic Paint, Decorative Cording

1. cut fabric (burlap) to desired size for pillow
2. cut vinyl to same size as fabric or to the size of the image, leaving extra space between the image and the edge of the vinyl in all directions.
3.  place vinyl on cricut mat, vinyl side up
4. start cutting blade so that the image will be centered on the vinyl - this in not the time to be concerned about wasting vinyl - there will be some wasted, in fact it's neccessary!
5.  carefully take the part of the cut image that would normally be thrown away off the cutting mat and place in the center of the fabric, save the inside image for something else.
6.  carefully burnish (rub) the edges down on the fabric - spend some time doing this, especially on burlap so paint doesn't seep through.
7.  with a stiff brush dip into a small amount of paint -start paint brush on the vinyl moving towards the fabric, never start on fabric going to the vinyl, paint might seep underneath.
8.  when almost dry, carefully remove vinyl - your image should have real crisp edges.
9. cut 2 pieces of muslin the same size as the first piece.
10.  place one piece of muslin on both sides of burlap with decorative cord in between painted side of burlap and muslin.
11.  sew together on 3 1/2 sides, turn right sideout, stuff, the hand sew closed.

Now, remember to start with Nicole, and hop along!  Next stop from here is  Mari!

Have a creative weekend and enjoy!
 
                                                                                                              

59 comments:

crazyaboutcricut said...

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW! That looks amazing. TFS :)

Abby said...

Hey the first person stole the words out of my mouth!!!!! WOW!!! AWESOME!!!!!!

Nanascreativecorner said...

That is really awesome as all the blogs have had some great tech. Thank you so much for sharing....

tcbbgibson@gmail.com

Karen said...

Hi Liz....FANTASTIC! I just stumbled across your blog on the blog hop and you now officially have another "blog stalker" lol! Geesh, so happy to have found your blog and will look forward to seeing what you create! :)
Karen

Debbie said...

very very nice, I wanted to say wow also but they said it first thanks for sharing I am now a follower

GiGi said...

Great pillows! They turned out awesome!

mum of two said...

Those are amazing!! Wow - you are really creative! TFS

Unknown said...

Great idea! I always think like this when I see something I can't afford...although often they dont't turn out quite as nice as your pillows!

mmd_lod@hotmail.com

~JulieH~ said...

Oh these are so beautiful and so stylish Liz! I love them, thanks for he great tip on painting from the vinyl inwards, I must try this technique.
Juliexx

Stephenie said...

GREAT technique! So many applications!! Already thinking of ways to make Christmas gifts with this! I am now a follower!
Thanks for being a bounce on the blog hop.

Nicole Wright Designs said...

These are WOW Liz,such a great project to share. Thanks for sharing your secrets and saying yes to playing!

- - Sheryl - - said...

wow
your pillows are fabulous.

thanks for the step by steps, been a while since I sewn a pillow.

cardstockaholic said...

I love those pillows. . . .what a terrific idea!!!

Nikki

Scrappin_3rdeeschik said...

How beautiful. I love the monogram pillow. My fav. Thanks for sharing your craft with us.

Eulanda said...

Wow these are absolutely gorgeous! Nice to share the blog hop with you Liz!
Hugs!

Hey Jude said...

great tips on using the vinyl, project looks great. JSharer417@aol.com

Martha galvez said...

I'm just loving the pillows!!! I can't get enough pillows!!! These were Great!! Loved your blog....

Bonnie Patterson said...

Really nice

Lolis said...

Great pillows! You did a fantastic job.

debbieb said...

Those are just great, great work
thanks
milo8212@hotmail.com

The Scrappin Diva said...

I would have never thought to do that...thanks for sharing

fasloan at yahoo dot com

txscrapper said...

Great project. I am going to try this one.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful project! I can't wait to try this out. TFS!

Craftyhomemade said...

Great tecnique. They're so chic. Thanks

Scrappy Mel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scrappy Mel said...

Ooops- major typo, sorry! :)

Wow - I am SOOOO impressed! I usually stay away from the cafts that requires sewing but I might just have to give this one a try. TFS!

jennyplace2 said...

Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing.

GabyCreates.com said...

Great idea! beautiful pillows!! thanks for sharing!

scrapabookaholic at hotmail dot com

GiGi said...

Wow - these pillows look awesome. You've very talented. TFS!

GiGi

gigiact2 at bellsouth dot net

Kate said...

Gorgeous pillows! Don't you just love it when you can recreate something pricey?!

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

Great work! I love those colors!

The Archiving Angel said...

WOW LIZ, THESE ARE ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! I know you had a lot of wows but that is instinctively what seems to blurt out! If you made these & sold them you would have lots of money for your craft stash.
Simply a wonderful job.
I have been following your fab blog & played catch up today. You have really been a busy lady.
TFS.
Sonia

A Soul's Heartbeat said...

Beautiful pillows!

pcrusberg said...

Great pillows! I live in San Diego and my grandma lived in Solana Beach. I'll have to go scout around there again soon. Thanks, Pam

Cricut Matriarch said...

I love the pillows! Great idea for saving money and you can be proud of what you created!

VeronicaA said...

Those pillows are absolutely gorgeous. Great workmanship! Thanks for sharing.
Veronica
vballen@comcast.net

MisCdaisy said...

great pillows!!!
TFS!!!

Love, Mel
Miscdaisy.blogspot.com

Cards and Crafts by Sheree said...

Wow, I never dreamed you could make such gorgeous pillows! Amazing...I just bought some vinyl from Cricut and cannot wait to get started!
thank you for participating in this blog...I am learning so much!

Unknown said...

okay, I have to print this out. loved this one also~victory-n-christ@hotmail.com

Linda said...

those are beautiful

ikolinda-scrappinmomma.blogspot.com

Lynlee said...

incredible! thank you for the ideas!
Lynda
paperchase@live.com

Banner Market said...

Oh! Absolutely Beautiful Liz! Love these pillows, great tips thanks so much! On to the next blog, thanks for doing this!
Cheers
Gina

Joanna said...

Wow these are awesome! Looks great! thanks for sharing! ;)

kathylee... said...

Awesome! Beautiful work!
Kathy

myscrappycupcake.blogspot.com

come join my blog too.

mustbecrafty said...

Wow!! I never would have thought of doing this. They look amazing. Plenty of people would pay good money for those babies!

Kathy's Kreative Spot said...

Great decorating idea; i will defitely have to try this.

scrapperbecka said...

Those are beautiful, you did an awesome job!!!

te_sha said...

Very Nice!!!! I bet those cost half the price they would of charged you...
Letisia.chubbuck

Pammejo said...

OMGoodness, the pillows are Fabulous. Love it!

Anonymous said...

Wow - I think you did an incredible job. They look store bought and very expensive to me.
DianeL

Linda said...

Wow this is wonderful. I love it when I can make my own and not have to pay the high prices. Fantastic job!

sucor said...

Great idea - your pillows are gorgeous!

Melanie said...

Forget the boutique! Your pillows are fabulous!

Marlene said...

Fantastic technique! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love those, great job. When I 1st saw them I did not think that you made them, gorgeous!

Carrie said...

Thanks for stopping by today! I love those! They turned out so well! I so cannot sew. My fireplace curtain was hemmed with the iron-on stuff! ;) I'm jealous! You're such a pro!

Karen said...

These are fantastic! I'm in love with them. :o) Excellent job... now I want to go make pillows! :o)

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

I need to try this!! It would go well with the other burlap, feedsack stuff I have. Love it, love it.

Lori Comeau said...

Great job. TFS
http://lorisartsyobsession.blogspot.com/

I've Moved to a NEW BLOG! Ink Ink Stamp!

Hello!  I've moved to a new blog  Ink Ink Stamp!