Friday, December 24, 2010

English Toffee Recipe, My Gift to You!


***If you are looking for "Christmas Cheer Blog Hop"  click here ***

Hi!

I hope you are all ready for Christmas!  I finally am, except for my Christmas cards!  I didn't do any this year...can you believe that a card maker didn't!  I hope my family & friends will forgive me, maybe I'll have to brib them with candy!  :)   I made this candy and tags last week for "Homemade Christmas" and I had a lot of requests for my recipe.  If you have alitte extra time, you can make a batch of English Toffee for yourself!

(one of the bags is peppermint bark)

Recipe:
1 lb butter
2 cups sugar
1 package Toll House milk chocalate chips
sliced almonds, then coarsely chopped

use stainless pot and wooden spoon
before starting put chocolate chips in a double boiler to melt, don't boil water, you don't want to over cook chocolate.  Also line a cookie sheet with foil.  Be prepared to stay at the stove (about 30 min), stiring  the entire time otherwise sugar will scorch.

melt butter at med heat, add sugar, stir constantly

keep stiring and keep at med heat
sometimes butter will separate from sugar, keep stiring, it will go back together

(this about the color it should at 310 degrees)
did I mention...keep stirring, when sugar starts to turn the color of a paper bag, put candy thermometer in sugar, and yes, keep stiring until temperture reaches 310 degrees.  Pour on foil lined cookie sheet, let sit for about 1-2 minutes.  Pour melted chocolate onto candy, sprinkle almonds all over and completely cover.  It takes quite a bit of almonds, but alot fall off after it's hard.  they can be used for another batch if you make it the same day.

This is the finished product! 
When completely hard (chocolate too)  break up into small pieces!
Yummy!

Have a Merry Christmas!  I will be back on January 1st for a "Let's Celebrate Blog Hop"!

Enjoy!

15 comments:

crafty queen said...

Love this project... Thanks for the recipe...there is always another year for me. Happy Holidays glad I found you.
gdobberteenatyahoodotcom

Houses Built of Cards said...

I didn't get my Christmas Cards done either! Like you, I thought it was kinda sad for a card maker! I told my husband (who works for a Refinery) that it was just as bad as if his car ran out of gas at the side of the road! Thanks for the recipe! Looks really yummy - might have to give it a try sometime!

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

I just stopped by to wish you and your family a very Merry and Blessed Christmas!!!

Celeste B. said...

Yummy!!!! Looks delicious!! TFS! Merry Christmas! :)

Unknown said...

Adorable project! I just found your blog, and it is FABULOUS :)

Scrap'n Yamma! said...

Cute tags! Thank you for the recipe too! Thanks for sharing!

Glora said...

Liz, I TOTALLY understand on the card thing. I didn't get mine made and sent out either. Things just got busy so fast. Next year, I need to start A LOT sooner! Thanks for the recipe. I will have to try it! YUMMY! Merry Christmas to you and yours! Hugs- Glora

Randall said...

best bark EVER! even as it tried to pull my teeth out, I couldn't stop eating it... seriously delicious... great looking site, sis!! love, R.

Patti B said...

I got most of my cards out this year a few might be late though.
Yummy looking treats. Thanks

MamaFin (Laura) said...

Liz, I can totally relate. First time in over 9 years that I didn't send out Christmas Cards. I'm thinking New Year's Cards will be just the ticket! Your toffee looks delicious....

Joanna said...

OMG this looks yummy! I will have to try this..btw you inspired me to make peppermint bark for the 1st time and it came out so good! I just loved that project you did with the goody bags!

ps..thanks for mentioning the blog hop..I so excited! :)

DH said...

Yum! Will need to try this!

~Dawn
http://latenightscraper.blogspot.com/

Banner Market said...

Hi Liz! wanted to say thanks for being such a sweet friend. Im really happy Ive gotten to know you. Congrats on your PKS guest designer spot too! Thats awesome! You are so creative and I truly look forward to all the wonderful projects you will be making this year, Ive learned so much from you, than you for all you do and share and I love your style!
Wishing you and your family a beautiful New Year!, have fun and be safe!
Hugs
G

Debby Pannell said...

Thank you for the recipe. My FIL loves almond roca so this would be so awesome to make for him.
TTFN

Carol said...

Thanks for the recipe...can't wait to try it. Thanks for all you do!!!

I've Moved to a NEW BLOG! Ink Ink Stamp!

Hello!  I've moved to a new blog  Ink Ink Stamp!